About The Gorgie Mem
The building has a very long history dating back to 1887 when it was first built and affectionately called “the little church in the field”.
After the First World War, it was chosen to be the memorial for those that had fallen and renamed as Gorgie War Memorial Hall.
The memorial remains within the hall to this very day.
The hall has been used as a council community centre since 1983.
The hall is owned by City of Edinburgh Council and is leased to the management committee who are a charitable organisation responsible for the running of the centre. The council provides staffing and finances to support the activities and services which enables the hall to be used by a wide range of groups and organisations.
Activities and Groups
The under 5s drop-in runs every week day and proves to be a popular local resource. Parents and carers are able to have a chance to meet others, talk about issues and support each other. Their children can play and learn to interact in a safe environment with a range of equipment that is regularly upgraded.
The hall provides regular under 12s children’s activities in Gorgie during term-time.
From fitness and wellbeing to carpet bowls, the hall also provides a wide range of opportunities for adults.
The garden is also a vital focal point of the centre due to the limited green space in Gorgie and the fact that it offers a safe child friendly place to play.